But keep one eye open at night...
Tuesday, December 30, 2008
I have been finding more songs that I really like recently and they all happen to be about the same thing that I can easily relate to. One of them is Elephants by Rachael Yamagata. I actually heard it from dance because it's going to be my lyrical solo song for competition this year (even though I'm not really supposed to be competing while at school, but oh wells.) At first, I was very iffy about the song because it just sounded like a normal pretty lyrical song and my solo probably wouldn't be that significant at competition. But then I went home and downloaded the song and looked up the lyrics.. It's actually not a pretty song at all (not in a bad way). They're quite violent actually... I realized this after listening to the whole song. I think the lyrics are amazing and have sooo much meaning.
If the elephants have past lives, yet are destined to always remember,
it's no wonder how they scream,
like you and I, they must have some temper.
And I am dreaming of them on the plains, dirtying up their beds,
watching for some kind of rain to cool their hot heads.
And how dare that you send me that card when I'm doing all that I can do.
You are forcing me to remember when all I want is to just forget you.
If the tiger shall protect her young, then tell me how did you slip by.
All my instincts have failed me for once -- I must have somehow slept the whole night.
And I am dreaming of them with their kill, tearing it all apart,
blood dripping from their lips, and teeth sinking into heart.
And how dare that you say you will call, when you know I need some peace of mind..
If you had to take sides with the animals, won't you do it with one who is kind?
If the hawks in the trees need the dead, if you're living you don't stand a chance.
You can lie there and say you are fed, but there are only two ends to this dance.
You can flee with your wounds just in time, or lie there as he feeds,
watching yourself ripped to shreds and laughing as you bleed.
So for those of you falling in love, keep it kind, keep it good, keep it right.
Throw yourself in the midst of danger, but keep one eye open at night.
Rachael Yamagata - Elephants
I couldn't pick one verse so I just decided to post the whole song ahah. But basically, Rachael is singing about someone she fell in love with and is trying to forget because he hurt her badly. He knows that she still loves him and is playing with her emotions. In the song she uses the animals to describe their relationship. Their temper towards each other is described like the screams of elephants. The tiger refers to herself while the hawk refers to her lover, hence the genders noted in the verses. I really like songs that have metaphorically lyrics like this and don't spoon feed the story and meaning to the listeners. In the last two lines, she gives a warning to those in love, telling them to take the risk but be cautious because anything can happen.
I think now that I know the meaning of this song, I can appreciate my solo to this song more as it gets choreographed by my teacher. I hope I get good choreography and am able to make it my own =] My jazz solo is also to a bitter song, but I'll save it for another day.
Until next time.
Toodlez~
1 comments:
I love this song. When i first heard it, I cried. It was emotional and beautiful.
I don't think any girl should go through with that kind of relationship when a guy hurts her by playing with her emotions. I shouldn't be talking since I'm sort of in that relationship... :(
Post a Comment